Monday, 7 December 2015

Advent 7: Spring is around the corner, right?

It was dull and dark as I headed off for work this morning. I'm not a morning person and it's so much harder getting out of bed during these dull days. At least I think so. By lunch time it was lovely and bright with even some blue sky. So I spent an hour in the garden planting tulips bulbs. Of which I seem to have rather a lot. I picked some up in the supermarket and Mum ordered some online. Only the online ones never did appear and she said the cheque wasn't cashed. So as Sarah Raven had a sale on tulips I bought a few (well about 85 or something ridiculous!)


For next spring

Pretty much all those in the yellow bags have been planted. I've half filled one of my veg beds with tulips. Well, I didn't put any veg in that one last year (unless you count some rhubarb, which couldn't be harvested the first year any way.)


For next spring

I've covered the bed in some metal mesh I had. I'm hoping this will discourage the neighbourhood squirrels and birds from digging them up. Also stop any mice disturbing them and cats scratching on the freshly turned soil. 

For next spring

I planted some in the front garden where I'd taken some lavender up earlier in the year. I planted some pansies on top to help stop the pigeons trampling them - it's quite near to the bird feeder and they have been known to do a spot of tulip trampling in the past. 

Come spring I'm looking forward to a riot of colour and being able to pick a few to bring into the house. Of course this isn't getting my Christmas making sorted. But tomorrow is another day right?

6 comments:

  1. There's nothing like a bit of bulb planting to brighten the day! Looking forward to seeing photos of all your tulips next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bulb planting, love it, the thought of bright things to come. I hate the thought of mice in the garden though. Puts me right off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm giggling at the tulip trampling pigeons. *g* It's those big boots they wear. You've been very industrious! My poor garden hasn't had its autumn cut down - it's not stopped raining here since October!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm giggling at the tulip trampling pigeons. *g* It's those big boots they wear. You've been very industrious! My poor garden hasn't had its autumn cut down - it's not stopped raining here since October!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on getting all those bulbs and the pansies planted! Your garden will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)