Wednesday, 8 March 2017

On Why A Destash is Imminent.

Hello is there anybody there?

Well, it has been a long time since I put fingers to keyboard and did a blog post. But I have a long last decided to do a destash of fabric and craft materials. Long hoarded (and sadly) these days never used.

It's taken me a while to get my head around destashing. I think the two things that have stopped me are: The thought of getting organised. Spending my work life organising everybody else's life means the thought of coming home and doing more organising does not fill me with enthusiasm. Secondly, what if I let go of stuff only to find that I suddenly wished I hadn't. As I've been waiting for my sewing mojo to return and I absolutely love sewing from stash rather than having to buy and wait for fabric when I'm itching to get stitching.

However, I have a good incentive right now. Immediately after my birthday in January, Chiefs already troublesome back, gave out. He just managed to get home before it got really bad and he was hardly able to move around and off work for about a month. He injured his back many years ago (before I knew him) in a parachuting accident and has been in pain with it ever since. In fact for over 6 months after the accident he was paralysed from the waist down and told he'd not walk again. From time to time his back goes out. Chief said to me when he was bored and stuck at home off work that he wished this had happened when he was at my house because at least we'd be together.

The first thing that occurred to me was sh*t where would he sleep? He'd never manage our cottage stairs and the bathroom is downstairs. Being a problem solver I thought that's ok. We'd just have to take the spare single bed down stairs to the dining room. However, the only way to accommodate it would be move the drawers with the fabrics hoarded in and around. That's a lot of fabric to shift and rehome and I'd not be able to sew while he was in there even if I did feel so inclined.

Sorting my stash
This chest of drawers and beyond is rammed with fabrics! 

It made me realise that the people close to me are more important to the stash around me. That actually if it came to it I'd have to bundle it all into a black sack and transfer it to where the bed had been (no way the chest of drawers would go up our stairs.) But more importantly it occurred to me that actually I was hanging on to most of this because it was pretty and it cost money, so I couldn't afford to just dump it. I'm not actually sewing like I used to. After all how many quilts does one person need? I have limited options of making quilts for other people as gifts and anyway, the last quilt I made was a baby quilt in September. I had to canvas a relative to find out if it had been received, as a thank you wasn't forthcoming, about a month later I got a message on facebook saying: thanks we got you a thank you card but forgot to post it. The only plus side was I managed to make every thing from stash.

So now I'm letting go. I'll probably have to do it in stages. I'm hoping that all the other destashes going on won't put people off buying my stuff there seems to be more destashes going on at the moment than you can shake a stick at!

And who knows maybe when I've reduced my stash I'll find I do want to sew again - with what's left obviously - not buying more!

Anyway, if you're interesting in my destash and seeing what I decide to get rid of please follow my destash account on Instagram @isisjem_destash


7 comments:

  1. Life changes and It sounds as if you are doing all the right things to adapt! I hope that everything goes really well with your reorganisation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like u have wonderful colorful collection.We have a great collection of African fabrics. Good quality at lowest price. For whole sell price Visit us hope you guys love them.
    Sequin Fabrics, Whole sell Sequin
    Meba Wo Abrokyere
    African Fabrics
    Wholesale African Fabrics

    ReplyDelete

  3. If you’re going to strap on the same fake watchesevery day, it needs to look good with both your Tuesday suit and your Sunday t-shirt, but you don’t want it to be boring. You don’t have to spend five figures to get a great breitling replica.Theklockor kopior Globemaster ($120) handles all situations effortlessly and is packed with technology like a totally anti-magnetic movement and a more accurate and durable co-axial escapement,you’ll notice the seconds hand seems to tick like on a quartz
    rolex replica, but this rolex replicais because of a special gear-and-spring system inside that gives it the so-called “deadbeat seconds” for more precise timekeeping.As the brand’s iconic omega repliqueindividual product, admirable adroitness and absolute kelly 35cm demonstrates what both central and outside.
    Buy Cheap air max
    online.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)