I've messed up so many times this afternoon I really am surprised I'm not running round the living room like a lunatic pulling clumps of my hair out whilst screaming. So no shouting at me Hadley, I'm having a time out with a cuppa.
By the time I went to bed last night Mum's quilt top was pieced. I got into bed, reached behind the bed where I have some packs of wadding stashed only to discover that the two I had were both too small. I had no time to get any delivered so resolved I'd join a couple of packs together.
So I get home from work today and start to piece the quilt back. I don't like piecing quilt backs which is why I like quilts that use WOF, so the most I have to do is go and stitch a few strips together. I had a yard of one of the big scale prints from It's a Hoot and figured I could sash either side with some Kona Ash. I had another yard of one of the blenders from the line and thought I could put a band top and bottom of the feature print panel, again sashed in Kona Ash. I measured cut and sewed. Only somehow when I started sewing the top and bottom panels they didn't line up. I must have cut the fabric the wrong way so the length was actually different to the feature panel. As time was up against me I left it thinking I could stick a label over that bit. It's not out by much and it is the back.
Then I moved on to the joining of the batting. This is where Frankenwadding was born. I had a pack of wadding in my scraps so I thought I could use that rather than both of the packs I'd had behind my bed. Only when I opened up the pack I'd already used some previously. Not to worry I thought and I set about cutting and zigzagging the two bits of wadding together. (I had to add in another bit where it just fell short.) So far so good. Until I laid it on the backing piece and realised I'd joined the wadding to the wrong end and I now had a really long narrowish length of wadding. Hmmm Ok I'd be using both packs from behind the bed after all. I measured, cut and joined a strip of wadding and went back to the machine to zig zag. Job done.
You know what's coming next don't you?
I zigzagged the strip onto the wadding and trimmed off the excess. There was quite a chunk of excess....I laid it on the backing and Wow! Now I had a really REALLY long narrowish strip of backing. Out came the scissors again. More chopping more joining and I finally sewed the extra where it should be. A few wrinkles in one part which I'm hoping will not cause too many drama's as they're near the edge. I laid the quilt top on the batting and started to baste. Out came the safety pins. I just got to the bottom where I still had quite an overhang of batting. I put my hand under one edge where I could feel it was caught up and on lifting up the batting I discovered the back was smaller than the top!!!!!!!
So now I did something that will tell you exactly why I'd never get into one of those proper quilt guilds. I joined some strips cut from some FQ's I had of this range and without pinning I picked up the basted quilt and went and joined an extra strip on the bottom of the back whilst the rest of the quilt was basted.
(I'm picturing a few people gasping in shock, one fainting, one wondering what sort of blog this is and the majority of you laughing your F****ing heads off!)
And if you're as dopey as me with this quilt maths measuring wotsit then I suggest you follow this series over at Lily's Quilts.
I intend using the first post to calculate how much binding I need to make. As it seems more sensible than guessing like I normally do and either finding I'm 6 inches short of binding and having to join a bit on whilst the rest is attached to the sewing machine or I make so much I could use it to gift wrap my house.