Part of the reason I'd not progressed with the tote was that little sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that told me I didn't really want to put in the zip. Tonight I bit the bullet. Read through the instructions again and again and got started. First off I didn't think it helped that in the pattern pictures the lining used doesn't clearly show the right and wrong side. That aside the zip went in pretty painlessly. Until the bit in the pattern where it said flip to the right side and set aside. I did so and the zip wouldn't work. It was in upside down.
I cursed a bit under my breath and reached for the seam ripper. This time I would look at what the pattern was trying to achieve (I think I must work better visually where instructions are concerned.) I figured it out and found my own way of putting the zip in far more quickly. Again I got to the flip to the right side and found the zip was in exactly the same position as previously!!
See the zip is all upside down wrong way roundy
See this will never work as a bag lining
I was just about to curse some more and reach for my seam ripper when I turned it outside in and realised that actually if the zip was in the bag it would work.
I had previously ripped the zipper out for nothing! Doh! The zipper only wouldn't work if you were using this as the external part of the bag. But that would just be silly...
So now I just have to cut out the straps and finish the bag. A job for tomorrow me thinks and hopefully the sunshine will be out to allow me to get some decent pics of the finished bag.
The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that this is not the fabric I showed you previously. I changed my mind about the lining and if you're really eagle eyed this may give a big BIG clue as to the theme of the bag.
I'm just relieved I don't have to put that zipper in yet again!