So there it is. I have my first quilt finish of 2013 and what a beauty it is too.
For those who don't know I was Miss March in Bee a Brit Stingy Bee and I asked my fellow hive members to make me Road to Tennessee blocks in bright summery colours using white for the negative space. I didn't mind what kind of fabric as long as it was white and said tone on tone white was fine too.
By the end of April I had received all my blocks and decided that I wanted the quilt a tad larger than it was. This was because the quilt was coming out long and skinny. Some suggested to me that I could take a row off the bottom and put it on the back. However, I didn't want any of my bee members to feel their blocks were only good enough to go on the back of the quilt. So with the help of a couple of my bee members I made enough rows for another long column of blocks.
Today I did the trimming and binding. Don't tell the quilt police, but there was no way I was going to go near this beauty with a rotary cutter and squaring up in the conventional sense was not going to be sensible. It was more important to me to keep the visual of the blocks in tact rather than have a completely 100% straight quilt.
Photographing this quilt was not easy in today's wind but I was eager to get some pictures up so everyone that helped make it could see it finished.
I'm not sure if you can see the binding very well in the pictures? I had a half meter of fabric bought in a sale that stupidly I didn't look at the selvage to see what it was. Other than I seem to remember it having Kauffman on it. Anyway, I chose this fabric for two reasons: It was in my stash already and it reminded me of the sort of mosaic tiling you get on swimming pools. What better than thinking of a cooling swim on a hot summers day.
I roped my Mum into holding up the quilt only she found it a bit heavy and the wind did rather make the job harder. It was scarier when I gave her the camera and decided to climb up on the stone bench. The stone bench was wobbly and the quilt acting like a sail in the wind. I half expected to get blown over the hedge! We had to go through the whole process twice when it turned out Mum had been trying to take pictures with out switching the camera on!
Me checking if she's actually taken pictures this time!
This is the back: Mainly Summersville with some Klona Cream and Kona Robins Egg.
I was so busy piecing the back from stash I completely forgot to incorporate the siggy blocks so now I'm wondering if I should sew them all into one label and sew it on the back or do something else with the siggys. Ideas always welcome.
So that's my Summer Kisses Quilt. I think the parts of each block look like kisses and as it's in summery colours...you can work the rest out!
The Deets for the statistically minded:
Finished size: 60" x 69"
What a flaming good start to June!